You can select ideas in the following list and transfer them in your notes by selecting them. Back in your notes, you can also edit them.
- Treat the other person politely and respectfully.
- Remember that what counts is not what I say, but what the other person hears.
- Rather than arguing, ask open questions (the one asking questions, leads!).
- Speak slowly and let the other speak.
- Describe what disturbed you with I-Messages, without accusing or blaming the other person - e.g.: „I was angry" or „When I hear this, it made me angry" instead of „You made me angry" or „You bastard!".
- Apologize if I did or said something that I regret myself.
- Show empathy and say that I regret what happened (without apologizing, if I consider that I haven't done anything wrong).
- Check regularly whether I understood correctly what he/she said.
- Respect his/her point of view ("I have a different opinion, but I respect the fact that you see things differently than I do").